Bienvenidos a todos al Blog de Merida 2015! Welcome everyone to the Merida 2015 Blog! Team Merida (Carly, Valentina, Vanessa and Dan) all welcome you to keep up with this blog to experience the exciting and unique journey that your son or daughter is embarking upon this summer!
I am Carly, and will be maintaining the blog on a weekly basis from Merida. At the orientation on Sunday April 26 in Bloomington, I will be passing out to parents and guardians a small business card with the instructors’ contact information as well as the blog site address.
On the blog, you can expect to find descriptions of what we have done and/or will do on a weekly basis (I will post weekly, usually on Saturdays or Sundays) accompanied by pictures and at times videos as well (technology permitting!) Below I have added some pictures of where we are in Mexico and also a bit of what the city looks like.
Look for our first post after the first week in Merida in June! ;)
A little bit about where we are going to be spending our time this summer!:
• Capital of Yucatan State of Mexico
• One of the most important places to experience the Mayan heritage
• Merida has a distinct cultural and political identity as a result of its unique geographic location, strong Spanish influence, and isolation from other parts of Mexico.
• Unique culture and traditions: the local dress, language, cuisine, and the observance of holidays and celebrations
• Close to famous archaeological sites, such as Chichén Itzá and Uxmal
• Close to several ecological wonders, such as cenotes (underwater sinkholes) and exotic bird sanctuaries
Check out this video!